Sunday, November 18, 2007

 

Readers Respond: How To Report Illegal Disease Treatment and Prevention Claims

From Name Witheld At User's Request (November 6, 2007)
I love your site!!! My brother’s wife is a Juice Plus distributor. She makes me loathe family get togethers because she just never shuts up about Juice Plus. She is a brainwashed idiot – she used to work as a receptionist at a gym and knows absolutely nothing about nutrition, but now she thinks she’s an expert because she read a few Juice Plus brochures and went to some of the company’s “training” seminars. She tells stories about how a friend of a friend cured this disease or that disease with Juice Plus and nobody on it ever gets sick. I’ve heard her telling people, including my friends and family, that they should get off medications their doctor prescribed and take Juice Plus instead. It makes me furious and I’m worried she’s going to end up hurting somebody, or worse. I tried talking to her about it and I’ve even shown her some of the criticism of Juice Plus that I found on the Internet but she just shrugs it off and keeps repeating phrases from the brochures

Is it actually illegal for her to promote Juice Plus for preventing diseases? I found several websites where other Juice Plus distributors are making these kinds of claims. I can’t rat out my sister-in-law to the authorities because it would cause a rift in my family, but I would love to report some of the other bastards who are saying that it can cure cancer etc. Who should I report them to and what kind of details do they need? Is it the FDA, FTC, BBB, etc.? Do I have to give my name to file a report? I don’t want my brother or his wife to hear about this. Thanks…you are doing a great job! Keep it up.

Reply From the JPRB
Sadly, that’s an all too familiar story, as you may have noticed from some of our articles and the comments of other reader’s who have responded here.

In answer to your questions:

References

  1. U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Reporting Unlawful Sales of Medical Products on the Internet. http://www.fda.gov/oc/buyonline/buyonlineform.htm
  2. U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Consumer Complaint Coordinators. http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html
  3. Network Solutions Whois Search. http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp
  4. White Pages Reverse Phone Search. http://www.whitepages.com/reverse-lookup

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?